Thursday, March 7, 2013

What is Autism To Me?


Autism to me is like the volume is turned up on life, its like living with one foot in another dimension. I don't attribute my daughters loving nature to autism, I think she would be destined to be that whether she had autism or not. I don't mind the thought of her being attuned to the nature of the universe, I think that is a very advanced character trait, but I do want to help her cope with the world in the way it exists now. I wouldn't be sad if the autism was not part of her and she recovered, because I believe it makes her world overwhelming. Her spirit does not have autism, her spirit is limitless. I help her cope, learn and overcome as many of the difficult aspects of autism, and respect who she is by letting her be happy however she can. If that means flapping and saying eeeeee or being squished between the couch cushions, I will flap with her and squish her. I will help her make friends and connect, and if she doesn't want to that's ok too, I want her to feel free from judgement. She is just perfect to me.

I'm not terribly religious, but more spiritual. I think there is a plan for the world and everyone has a purpose. The grass doesn't envy the trees, the seagull doesn't envy the peacock, the dolphin doesn't envy the whale. Its just who they are. Every one and every thing in this world is here because it makes the universe complete. I also believe our spirit lives on, this is not all there is to existence. I think there is karma, or life lessons to live through, and its been put into our lives to help us evolve. It definitely can be a challenge, but I also feel very special to have been chosen to carry out this very important role in the universe.

I'm not even going to get into the "why" of autism today, because its not fair, and hindsight is 20/20. I can't dwell on that.  My daughter has toxins and yeast, has gut issues and allergies, and I will always help her be a healthy person as best I can. Its my mission in life now, and I am up for the challenge because she is worth every drop of energy I can give her. Our life is happy, its not ordinary, its extraordinary.


6 comments:

  1. Robyn: What is your direct email to communicate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be reached at manekinekotat2@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Thank you Robyn:
    How old was your daughter when she was diagnosed and how is she doing on biomeds?
    When did you start her on this protocol? thank you
    Lulu Ortiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter was diagnosed around this time last year, officially, although I knew it was autism about a year and a half ago. I started the GFCF diet first, and she started talking, about 20 words the first week! We started the DAN! protocol last May, and she has been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and supplements since then. Its been amazing and wonderful progress since. She is absolutely flourishing. She now has eye contact, is affectionate, has less gut or health issues, is more social, less meltdowns, less sensory sensitivity, has been able to attend school and most importantly she has about 500+ words now, used meaningfully, and is communicating her needs to us with words. Its been the best thing I could have done for her, and I'd recommend it to anyone who would listen!

      Delete
    2. Good for you!!!!
      Great seeing kids improve. Who do you use for your doctor?
      Lulu

      Delete
    3. Our DAN! is a naturopathic doctor, Dr.Sonya Doherty at the Natural Care Clinic in Burlington, Ontario. Great doctor.

      Delete