Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sunshine, Vitamin D, And Autism

    Dr. John Cannell wrote a  Medical Hypotheses Vitamin D And Autism and I was just listening to a great Autism One podcast from Teri Arranga interviewing Dr. Cannell and Dr. Mayer Eisenstein speaking about vitamin D deficiency (available through itunes here, its number 181 on the list). I found it really interesting. The link between the time of year, the part of the world you live in and other sun-related factors made a lot of sense.

    Something that really stuck with me is the amount our autistic children need, 5000 IU is often recommended, which seemed high to me. Apparently when we are sick with cold and flu, we can take up to 50,000 IU to fight it off, this is generally in the colder darkers months. As you probably noticed, we are much less prone to sickness and viruses in the summer months when we get our Vitamin D from sunshine. Also they noted how you should combine  Zinc, Vitamin K, Boron and Magnesium to fully process Vitamin D efficiently, all of which can be found in spinach and dark leafy greens. The podcast explained a further link between testosterone levels and how they tend to be high in autism, and happen to interfere with Vitamin D absorption. I personally believe I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in winter months (I call it my hibernation) and rarely venture outside into the cold. I will be ramping up the Vitamin D for sure this winter, and definitely look into adding more into my daughter's diet too. Farewell summer, Vitamin D here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment